Big Island Waterfall Tour
Lush Rainforest, Towering Waterfalls, Iconic Swimming Holes and Waterfall Rappelling
Explore the lush rainforest on the east coast of the Big Island. From towering waterfalls to the rugged and beautiful Hamakua coastline, you’ll sit back, relax and enjoy the breathtaking scenery as your exceptional naturalist takes you to the best scenic waterfalls on the island. Bring your bathing suit because you’ll have the opportunity to get up close and personal with Hawaii’s largest private accessible waterfall. If you’re feeling up for the challenge you’ll even have the opportunity to try waterfall rappelling.
Book an unforgettable private waterfall tour that will take you to some of the most scenic destinations on the Big Island of Hawaii:
- Wailuku River State Park
- Experience a private waterfall location: swim, kayak, and paddle-board
- Akaka Falls State Park
- Iconic waterfalls in the North Hilo area
- The rugged and beautiful Hamakua coast
- Historic Downtown Hilo
- Views of Waipio Valley (Optional Route)
- Waimea (Optional Route)
$1,445 For up to 4 Guests
$195 per Additional Guest (up to 7 total)
Full Tour Details:
8 Hour Tour Time
Start Time: 8:00 AM
- Begin your Big Island waterfall tour with a visit to iconic Wailuku River State Park and take in the majestic beauty of Boiling Pots and Rainbow Falls. Rainbow Falls is a picturesque waterfall that cascades over a legendary cave. Approximately one mile from the falls lies Boiling Pots, an intriguing feature of the Wailuku River. Like many of Hawaii’s features, the Boiling Pots were formed by lava flow.
- Experience a private waterfall location at Kulaniapia Falls and relax in the beauty and tranquility of this private 42-acre property which boasts 4 waterfalls, bamboo gardens and miles of trails. This sustainably minded and eco-friendly destination features off-the-grid living, farm-to-table chef inspired meals and much more.
- If weather and river conditions permit, you’ll enjoy some quality water time at what we feel is the best swimming hole on the island. Kulaniapia Falls cascades down 120-feet into a protected pool ideal for swimming activities. Only a limited number of guests can visit this privately accessible waterfall each day, making this a true escape. Enjoy the provided amenities such as kayaks and stand-up paddle boards that will make your swimming experience absolutely perfect.
- Enjoy the lush rainforest and rugged coastline as you cruise along Onomea’s scenic route. The road winds through an enchanting tropical forest. Stop for photos and views at beautiful waterfalls along the way.
- After working up an appetite, stop at a local restaurant for a delicious locally sourced lunch.
- Take a guided walk through Akaka Falls State Park. Not only will your naturalist tell you all about the rich botanical life found throughout the park but you’ll have the opportunity to view 2 spectacular waterfalls. Akaka falls, which cascades 442-feet down a vertical cliff face carpeted in vibrant green, is truly an incredible site to behold and a must-see on a Big Island waterfall tour.
- Before returning home, you’ll drive through historic downtown Hilo as you guide tells you all about the unique history and culture of the area. Historic downtown Hilo is a vibrant dining, shopping, and entertainment location.
As part of our pledge to make our tours completely customizable, we offer additional activities at Kulaniapia Falls. If you’d like to extend your time and incorporate one of the following activities we’re happy to accommodate your request:
- Waterfall rappelling: Experience the tallest commercially available repel in the state! With your expert canyoneering guide descend 120 feet down Kulaniapia Falls. Waterfall rappelling on the Big Island lets you experience the dynamic energy of the rushing water. Adventurous travelers will enjoy rappelling right beside the falls. Feel the majestic beauty and raw power of this incredible waterfall. Make sure you wear your bathing suit because there’s a good chance you will get wet on this adventure.
- Farm-to-table inspired cooking class: Enjoy a true and authentic farm-to-table experience. You will harvest and create a delicious plant-based lunch from Kulaniapia’s farm. Stroll through the farm accompanied by your guide and select perfectly ripe fruits and vegetables grown in the rich volcanic soil on the farm. Learn new cooking skills that are based on sustainable living practices and work in harmony with the environment. (only available Monday/Wednesday/Friday)
- If you’d like to visit Waipio Valley, Waimea, and see more of the Hamakua coastline we offer additional tour routes to accommodate these requests.
- Admission into all venues and parks
- Pick up and drop off at place of lodging
- Fully guided naturalist tour with educational materials and commentary provided by our top of the line tour guides
- Complementary Photo package: 20-25 professional, edited photos shared via Adobe Cloud for easy accessibility while traveling.
Food & Drink
- Lunch: a delicious locally sourced meal at a local restaurant on the Hilo coast
- Afternoon snacks
- All non-alcoholic beverages: water, juice, soda, hot tea, coffee and hot chocolate
- Patagonia rain jacket and puff
- Nikon Prostaff binoculars
- Reusable water bottle
- Bathing suit and towel
- Water shoes or Teva type river shoes
- A change of clothes if you’d like to participate in the waterfall swim
- Tours can be adapted to accommodate all ages and abilities. Please let us know at the time of booking if you have specific needs.
- Assuming no modifications to this tour, guests should be able to walk at least 1-2 miles with some steps included.
- Guests must be able to walk on uneven or rocky terrain and we may encounter cool, wet, or muddy conditions.
Customizing Your Tour
Upon booking your tour, one of our guides will contact you to discuss custom options we have available for your tour. Whether you’d like to spend more time star gazing, enjoy more time at our private waterfall location, or enjoy an extended guided hike, we’re here to make this experience memorable and most importantly – ALL ABOUT YOU!