The Big Island Circle Tour
An adventure of a lifetime in a single day
Are you interested in seeing all the major highlights on the Big Island in just one day? This full circle tour takes you and your group on a private adventure to some of the most spectacular and unique places on the Big Island of Hawaii. From incredible waterfalls to rugged coastline, tropical rainforests to active volcanoes, sub-alpine dry forest to black sand beaches; experience one of the most ecologically diverse islands on planet earth – ALL IN A SINGLE DAY!
On this in-depth tour of the Big Island you’ll experience the island’s main attractions:
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- An Authentic Kona Coffee Farm
- The southernmost bakery in the United States (famous for their delicious Malasadas)
- Breathtaking Punalu‘u black sand beach
- Iconic waterfalls in the Hilo area
- The rugged and beautiful Hamakua coast
- Views of Waipio Valley
- Waimea and the unique sub-alpine dry forest
$1,745 – For up to 4 Guests
$195 per Additional Guest (up to 7 total)
Full Tour Details:
12 Hour Tour Time
Start Time: 9:00 AM
- South Kona Coffee Farm: As you begin the Big Island circle tour, you’ll travel south along the Kona coast and absorb the breathtaking views of lush vegetation and coastline. Kona coffee farms exist only in the Kona Coffee Belt on the Big Island, and unique environmental factors give 100 percent Kona coffee a rich flavor. Listen to your guide describe the cultural history of the area as well as the local flora and fauna. Arrive at an authentic Kona coffee farm where you’ll tour the farm and sample flavorful Kona coffee.
- Punalu‘u Bakery: Visit the southernmost bakery in the United States. World renown for their sweet breads, malasadas (Portuguese fried dough aka “donut”) and other delicious treats. Enjoy a complementary coffee or tea and choose a malasada before heading on to explore the most beautiful black sand beach on the island.
- Punalu‘u Black Sand Beach: One of the prettiest black sand beaches in all of the Hawaiian Islands. The jet-black volcanic glass sand here was formed from the rapid cooling of basaltic lava hitting the ocean water then shattering into tiny fragments. Enjoy the relaxing feeling of black sand under your toes while listening to the wind move through the palms and across the water. Your guide will keep a look out for green sea turtles and endangered hawksbill sea turtles that frequent Big lsland Hawaii black sand beaches.
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park: A UNESCO World Heritage Site and an International Biosphere Reserve, this iconic park encompasses the summit of two of the world’s most active volcanoes and extends from sea level up to the summit of Mauna Loa at 13,677 feet. It’s home to critically endangered wildlife and some of the most unique geological, biological and cultural landscapes on earth. Your tour will explore the main attractions in the park including: the Thurston Lava Tube, Chain of Craters Road, and a nature walk along the Halema‘uma‘u Crater for unique views of the current eruption and the natural steam vents in the area. You’ll enjoy a picnic lunch in the beauty of the park before embarking on your next leg of this incredible full circle tour of Hawaii’s Big Island.
- Hilo Waterfalls: From the park venture down to Hilo where you’ll visit the picturesque Rainbow Falls and Akaka Falls State Park. Rainbow Falls cascades 80 feet over a lava cave—when conditions are right, admirers can see a rainbow appear in the waterfall’s mist. Akaka Falls plunges 442 feet into a pool, and many people consider this majestic waterfall their favorite on the Big Island.
- Both waterfalls are a sight to behold. You’ll develop a deep admiration for the charms of Hawaiian landscapes in the Hilo waterfalls tour. Beautiful falls combined with lush vegetation make these stops photo worthy and truly breathtaking.
- Hamakua Coast: Travel this 50 mile stretch of breathtaking coastline with its hidden waterfalls, tropical rainforest and lush green valleys. Described as one of the most beautiful locations in the state it’s well worth the scenic drive. Stop at Laupahoehoe Point Beach Park and take in the surrounding views as well as the culturally rich history of the area.
- Waipio Valley Lookout: Arrive at Waipio Valley in the late afternoon. Enjoy the incredible views as your guide explains the rich history of the area. As you look over the breathtaking valley, ponder the history of this site and all that you’ve enjoyed so far on your journey. The grand circle tour of Big Island Hawaii is an adventure that delivers an unparalleled experience.
- Waimea: Enjoy the sunset views of Waimea as you travel through Paniolo (Hawaiian cowboy) country and take in this historic area with its rolling, green pastures home to cattle, cowboys and one of the largest cattle ranches in the United States; Parker Ranch. End your Big Island circle tour at a local and authentic dinner in Waimea where surf and turf is a definite menu staple. Return to your lodging full, happy and filled with memories that will last a lifetime.
- Admission into all venues and parks
- Pick up and drop off at place of lodging
- Fully guided naturalist tour with educational materials and commentary provided by our top of the line tour guides
- Complementary Photo package: 20-25 professional, edited photos shared via Adobe Cloud for easy accessibility while traveling.
Food & Drink
- Punalu‘u Bake Shop – Coffee, tea and malasadas
- Lunch: picnic style lunch surrounded by the beauty of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Dinner: Local, delicious, dining venue in Waimea
- Snacks: trail mix, fruit snacks, Clif Bars, beef jerky, chips, chocolate
- All non-alcoholic beverages: water, juice, soda, hot tea, coffee and hot chocolate
- Patagonia rain jacket and puff
- Nikon Prostaff binoculars
- Reusable water bottle
- Comfortable walking/hiking shoes
- Warm layers for the time in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Tours can be adapted to accommodate all ages and abilities. Please let us know at the time of booking if you have specific needs.
- Assuming no modifications to this tour, guests should be able to walk at least 0.5 miles with some steps included.
- Guests must be able to walk on uneven or rocky terrain and we may encounter cool, wet, or muddy conditions.
Customizing Your Tour
Upon booking your tour, one of our guides will contact you to discuss custom options we have available for your tour. Whether you’d like to spend more time star gazing, enjoy more time at our private waterfall location, or enjoy an extended guided hike, we’re here to make this experience memorable and most importantly – ALL ABOUT YOU!